SAN DIEGO – May 23, 2014 – As travelers prepare for the Memorial Day weekend, San Diego County Regional Airport Authority reminds passengers and other San Diego International Airport (SDIA) users to keep several useful tips in mind to help make travel easier:
Arrive at least 1½ hours before departure for domestic flights and 2 ½ hours for international flights. The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) website provides helpful tips on how to reduce wait times at security checkpoints, such as how to pack and what items are permitted and prohibited. These tips are available at www.tsa.gov.
The new dual-level roadway, completed as part of The Green Build expansion, eases curb-front congestion by separating arriving and departing passengers in Terminal 2. With 32 airline counters and 20 easy-to-use curbside kiosks, departing passengers can check-in, print their boarding pass and check luggage before even entering the terminal.
· TSA Pre✓™ at San Diego International Airport. TSA Pre ✓™ offers expedited screening for eligible participants. TSA Pre✓™ lanes are available for passengers traveling through SDIA on the following airlines:
- Terminal 1 – Alaska Airlines, Southwest
- Terminal 2 – Hawaiian, American, Delta, United, Virgin America, JetBlue, Air Canada, Sun Country and US Airways
Active duty military are also eligible for TSA Pre ✓™. For more information on TSA Pre ✓™, please visit the TSA website.
· Follow 3-1-1 for liquids in carry-ons:
- 3-ounce bottles or less for all liquids, gels and aerosols placed in
- 1 quart-sized, clear, plastic zip-top bag (at SDIA, passengers can receive a plastic bag at the checkpoint, courtesy of the Airport Authority)
- 1 bag per passenger, placed separately in a security bin for X-ray screening
For more information on the security process, please visit the TSA website.
· Valet Parking. The valet service was created to aid travelers in situations where time, convenience and parking availability are a concern. When coming to the airport, drive into the designated valet areas in front of Terminal 1 or Terminal 2. When coming back to San Diego, pick up luggage first on the way to the valet cashier. The cost is $36 per 24-hour period. Take the receipt to curbside valet and your vehicle will be brought to you, or text (619) 888-6675 with your information once you’ve landed.
· Short- and Long-Term Parking. The parking options available at SDIA include color-coded short- and long-term SAN Park lots:
Green is for SDIA Long-Term Lot (formerly SAN Park Harbor Drive), located east of the airport
Blue is for SDIA Economy Lot (formerly SAN Park Pacific Hwy), located north of the airfield
Free shuttle buses from long-term lots to all airport terminals are also color-coded and display scenes of popular San Diego County destinations.
· Cell Phone Lot. Located east of the Commuter Terminal on Harbor Drive, accessible via a traffic light at Rent-a-Car Access Road. Motorists can wait in this parking lot for up to 60 minutes free of charge. Once cell phone contact is made between the driver and incoming passenger, the motorist can drive over to the terminal for quick, convenient traveler pick-up.
· Disabled Parking. Parking for travelers with disabilities is available at all airport lots. For additional information call 619-291-2087.
The airport is just minutes away from downtown San Diego via the 992 “Airport Flyer” bus that picks up passengers every 12 minutes (5 a.m. to midnight, seven days a week) across the street from the downtown Santa Fe Depot. Plan your trip at: www.511sd.com.
Volunteer Airport Ambassadors
Dressed in their distinctive green polo shirts, Volunteer Airport Ambassadors (VAAs) provide way-finding and other forms of assistance to passengers, meeters and greeters from 6 a.m. to 11 p.m. daily. VAAs are based at the information desks in the baggage claim areas of Terminal 1 and Terminal 2. They also roam the airport and operate a courtesy shuttle in Terminal 2 West to assist guests with mobility impairments.
To help ease stresses of traveling, the Airport Authority will be providing free live entertainment as part of its performing arts program. The next featured performance is on Friday, May 23, from 7 – 9:15 p.m. in the Terminal 2 West baggage claim. Talented jazz vocalist Allison Adams Tucker will take the stage to share music that reflects her passion for world cultures. A complete list of upcoming performances can be found at art.san.org.
619.400.2880 / email@example.com